Before we get into the limitations of localized testing and how cloud testing can be beneficial, let’s see what is Selenium?
It is one of the most popular and arguably the best automation testing frameworks out there for testing websites or web applications across the browsers. The demand for Selenium testers is so huge, not to mention the growing community of Selenium fans. In case, you want to be a part of the avid Selenium users, Selenium testing certification
. can help you to fit right in.
What is Selenium?
Selenium is an open-source automated testing framework that enables automating the website actions just as when a user would interact with a website.
- As Selenium is free and open-source, the setting up/installations charges are minimal for all companies.
- Next, Selenium supports the usage of various test scripts in C#, Python, Perl, Scala, Ruby, Java, etc.
- Selenium offers cross-browser testing and parallel testing capability which essentially accelerates the speed of execution.
- Selenium WebDriver supports testing across various browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Opera, etc.
- Selenium supports third-party integration with Junit, Maven, Sikuli for test management, reporting, etc.
- Selenium due to its high adoption and popularity has vast community support to help the users when they are stuck in the testing process.
What happens with localized testing?
It is a usual practice that the developers test the websites using responsive design testing for checking the website functionality in different browsers, machines with various screen sizes, devices, etc.
For this to happen, a huge setup and infrastructure are required so that the testing is performed. Powerful machines with various browsers are required to carry out responsive testing.
The localized testing can help in checking the browsers to some extent, however, with the cost of infrastructure and unpredictability in its actual performance, the entire process may take a hit.
This is where the automation testing can prove to be a savior. The local testing environment is non-scalable at the end of the day. The same cost can be leveraged in performing Selenium automation testing in the cloud environment that can produce better results.
Selenium Cloud Testing
The same local testing can be performed by running automated tests using Selenium. However, it is like wasting resources. Setting up the local infrastructure for running automated tests is first off, not feasible. Even with great effort, the infrastructure is set up, the quality of testing might take a hit.
Achieving test performance, parallel testing, advantages using Selenium cannot be yielded using the local testing.
Hence, switching to Selenium cloud testing is the best resort.
The following are the benefits of choosing Selenium Cloud Testing:
- The cloud-based testing can help in achieving better results in cross-browser, cross-platform test coverage.
- It is scalable and cuts down the cost as compared to setting up the local high-efficiency infrastructure as it uses a SAAS (software as a service) model.
- With the help of parallel testing, the speed of execution of tests is much faster.
- It enables testing on the latest as well as outdated web browsers and platforms.
- It also facilitates to stay updated with the latest testing processes in terms of bug tracking, communication, and project management tools for staying in touch with the other team members.
Now that it is decided that Selenium is the best tool for performing cloud-based automated browser testing, the onus is on you to get started with Selenium testing on the cloud by choosing the best cross-browser testing platform.